Simple low calorie soups: Carrot and Coriander
This is such a classic soup, so simple to make, and an awesome warming meal at only 68 calories per serving. Soup is a great way to have a low calorie filling and warming lunch on a cold winter’s day!
This recipe serves 4 small servings, or two larger servings. (don’t forget to double your calories!)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 750g carrots, peeled and chopped
- 900ml vegetable stock
- juice 1/2 lemon (I also sometimes use a dash of the bottle lemon juice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh coriander to garnish (if desired)
- Over a medium heat, fry the onion in a dash of olive oil in a covered pan with 2 tbsp water for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Add the spices and cook for 30 seconds, then stir on the carrots, followed by the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until the carrots are soft. Allow to cool slightly, then blend until smooth. Add the lemon juice and seasoning to taste, finally stirring in the fresh coriander just before serving.