Recipe: chunky sausage and tomato pasta
We buy sausages occasionally, it’s important to not deny yourself anything if healthy eating is to work. Here’s a reasonably harmless recipe to jazz them up a bit. Simple but tasty. We just used a combination of pasta, what was left in the cupboard.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 4 thick pork sausages cut into bite size pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200ml medium white wine (optional)
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 500g rigatoni or penne
- Handful basil leaves torn
- Parmesan to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based pan (preferably not non-stick) and add the sausages. Fry for about 8 mins until golden and cooked through. Tip in the garlic and fry for 1 min. Pour in the white wine and boil until it has reduced by half.
- Stir in the tomato purée and tomatoes, and season to taste. Simmer for 15 mins until the sauce is rich and thick.
- While the sauce cooks, boil the pasta according to pack instructions and drain. Stir in the basil if using, and cooked pasta into the sauce, then serve in bowls with grated or shaved Parmesan.