Yield: 6 or 7 egg muffins
Prep Time: 20 min Cook Time: 30 min
3/4 cup cooked and crumbled sweet Italian sausage (I use two links)
2 small handfuls fresh spinach, chopped
6 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup shredded cheese (I use cheddar)
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
salsa, for serving (totally optional, but totally good)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Spray 6 or 7 muffin cups with nonstick spray.
2. After you cook the sausage, scoop it into a paper towel-lined bowl to drain and cool, then wipe out the pan with a paper towel. Quickly cook the spinach in the same pan, just until wilted. Let it cool, then squeeze any excess moisture out of it.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the cooled sausage and spinach with the eggs and milk. Scoop into the prepared muffin tins (I find it easiest to use a 1/3 cup measuring cup) almost to the top. Sprinkle cheese on top. Then give each one a good dose of salt and pepper.
4. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until egg is cooked through. Easy way to check the egg: touch the middle of the muffins… if they are still wet and gooey, they’ll need a little more time in the oven. They should feel cooked through.
5. Serve egg muffins immediately- with salsa, if desired.
*Egg muffins are pretty versatile- sub in other ingredients for the sausage and spinach, if you prefer.