Recipe: sausage casserole
I ended up googling an alternative to my usual recipe today due to ingredients in my cupboards, or lack of. I found this tasty version, which I decided to share.
Yep, I ended up going to the supermarket anyway!
- 8 thick sausages
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomatoes puree
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves
- mashed potato and extra thyme, to serve
- Preheat grill or frying pan over a medium heat. Cook sausages for 8 minutes, or until golden. Thickly slice.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion. Cook for two minutes. Add garlic and cook for a further two minutes. Or until soft. Add tomato paste and cook for a further minute.
- Add tomatoes, stock and sugar. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add thyme and sausages. Cook for ten minutes, or until sausages are heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve with mashed potato and thyme leaves if desired.