300g pasta (your choice of variety)
1 Tbsp olive oil
8 slices prosciutto or bacon
¼ tsp chilli powder
2 cups milk
3 Tbsp flour
1 cup grated tasty or parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to season
- Cook pasta in boiling, salted water for 8-10 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Peel and slice onion.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté onion for 5 minutes, or until clear.
- Cut prosciutto or bacon into thin strips. If using bacon, de-rind and cut into strips.
- Add prosciutto or bacon to pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add chilli powder and cook over a low heat for 30 seconds. Mix pasta and prosciutto mixture into white sauce.
- Pour into an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle over cheese and bake at 180°C for 15
- Grill until golden if desired.
Bring milk to the boil. Melt butter and stir in the flour. Pour butter mixture into the milk and cook, stirring, until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.