Ham and Mustard Macaroni and cheese
250g dried macaroni
40g butter, chopped
200g shaved ham, shredded
2 cloves garlic, crushed
¼ cup plain flour
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 ½ cups milk
1 cup cheddar cheese
½ cup grated parmesan
2 medium potatoes, peeled, coarsely grated
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
Preheat oven to 220°C
- Grease four 2 cup capacity oven proof baking dishes.
- Cook macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling water as per instruction, drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add ham and garlic. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until ham is heated through. Add flour and mustard. Stir until mixture bubbles and thickens. Remove from the heat.
- Gradually stir in milk. Return to heat.
- Cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat.
- Add cheddar. Stir until cheese melts. Add pasta. Season with pepper then toss to combine. Spoon into prepared dishes.
- Combine parmesan and potato in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle over pasta mixture. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Serve sprinkled with chives.