Recipe: Kumara Frittata with tomato salsa and poached eggs
For Frittata base
2 large kumara (450-500 gm) 1 Tbsp olive oil 1 small pickling onion, peeled and finely chopped 4 large eggs 1 Tbsp chopped chives sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the tomato salsa
500g vine ripened tomatoes 4 spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced on the diagonal healthy handful of fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped juice of 1 lemon 6 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil 1 tsp sesame oil good splash of tabasco sauce 1 tsp castor sugar
- To make the salsa quarter the tomatoes and place in a good sized bowl. Add all the other ingredients and mix well. Season to taste with the sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, adding the sugar.
- Set aside to allow the flavour to develop on the bench.
- For the frittata heat the grill in your oven to its highest setting.
- Peel the kumara and cut into 1 cm cubes.
- In a non-stick pan or heavy based frying pan (one that is suitable to place under your grill) add the olive oil.
- Once hot toss the kumara along with the onion, and a good seasoning with the sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook over a medium heat stirring for 4-5 minutes until the kumara are just tender and lightly golden around the edges.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a bowl, add the chives and pour over the kumara. Shake the pan gently to distribute the ingredients and cook over a low heat without stirring for a few minutes until the eggs are beginning to set at the bottom and around the sides.
- Place the pan under the hot grill briefly until the top of the frittata has set. Take care not to overcook the eggs or they will turn rubbery. Leave to stand for a moment or so then run a heat proof plastic spatula around the sides of the pan and invert the frittata onto a large serving plate. Spoon the tomato salsa in a nice neat pile on top.
- Place a litre of water in a good sized pan adding a teaspoon of salt and bring the water to a simmer adding the salt and vinegar.
- Once simmering crack the egg carefully into the water, then repeat with the other eggs.
- Cook your eggs to the desired doneness, about 3-5 minutes then remove from the water with a slotted spoon and serve on top of the frittata and salsa.