Recipe: Venison steaks with blackberry sauce
I saw this recipe in the local paper, and it is in there courtesy of Graham Hawkes, owner / operator of the local Paddington Arms pub and restaurant.
Serves 4 people
- 250 Frozen vegetables
- 200ml red wine
- 250ml venison or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp honey
- 30g butter, cubed but kept in the chiller till required
- 2 x 150g venison steaks
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- olive oil
- In a heavy based pot, place the wine, chicken stock and 3/4 of the blackberries. Bring to the boil.
- Once boiling,reduce the heat to a simmer and allow to cook for 10 minutes or until the berries are soft.
- Place the mixture into the kitchen whizz and process until well combined. Now pass the mixture through a sieve back into the pot, throwing away the seeds.
- Bring the liquid in the pot back to a simmering point, adding the honey and continue to simmer until it has reduced by half to a nice smooth sauce.
- Add the remaining blackberries and season with the freshly ground sea salt and pepper to taste. (when you are about to sernve the sauce,add the butter cubes and swirl until the sauce becomes nice and glossy.
- Brush both sides of the steaks with olive oil and season with freshly ground salt and pepper.
- Heat a heavy based pan and when hot, place the venison steaks into the pan, allowing to cook for a minute and a half on each side.
- Remove, cover with a paper towel and leave to rest for 4 minutes.
- Place the steaks on a plate, adding the sauce and serve alongside your favourite fresh vegetables.